DOT Awards $1.3 Million in Grant Money
The U.S. Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) today announced it has awarded nearly $1.3 million in One-Call Grants to 26 states to support state pipeline damage prevention programs.
“Excavation damage continues to top the scale as a leading cause of death or serious injury resulting from pipeline incidents,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao. “These grants support the unique methods employed by states to further promote the use 811, America’s ‘Call Before You Dig’ number, and other damage prevention efforts to prevent these and other unfortunate events from occurring.”
Awarded annually, state agencies use the grants to strengthen their efforts to the reduce incidents of excavation damage to underground facilities, to include changes with state underground damage prevention laws, related compliance activities, training, and public education on One-Call Notification (811) Programs. States that can demonstrate compliance with the requirements of the One-Call Notification Program outlined in 49 U.S.C. 6104(b) may apply for the grants on an annual basis.
PHMSA has awarded more than $22.14 million in One-Call Grants to 713 state organizations since 1995. One-Call Grants support PHMSA’s ongoing nationwide damage prevention efforts to enhance public safety, minimize risks to excavators, protect the environment, and prevent the disruption of vital public services.
The 2017 One-Call Grant award recipients are:
- Alabama: Alabama Public Service Commission - $9,700
- Connecticut: Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection - $60,000
- Delaware: Delaware Public Service Commission - $9,996
- Illinois: Illinois Commerce Commission - $60,000
- Indiana: Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission - $60,000
- Iowa: Iowa Utilities Board - $22,000
- Kansas: Kansas Corporation Commission - $60,000
- Louisiana: Louisiana Department of Natural Resources - $60,000
- Maine: Maine Public Utilities Commission - $60,000
- Michigan: Michigan Public Service Commission - $60,000
- Minnesota: Minnesota Office of Pipeline Safety - $60,000
- Mississippi: Mississippi Public Service Commission - $65,000
- Missouri: Missouri Public Services Commission - $10,000
- Nebraska: Nebraska Pipeline Safety Division - $59,346
- New Hampshire Public Utilities Commission - $60,000
- New Jersey: New Jersey Board of Public Utilities - $60,000
- New Mexico: New Mexico Pipeline Safety Bureau - $60,000
- Nevada: Nevada Public Utilities Commission - $60,000
- New York: New York Public Service Commission - $60,000
- North Dakota: North Dakota Public Service Commission - $60,000
- Puerto Rico: Puerto Rico Department of Transportation and Public Works - $50,000
- Rhode Island: Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities and Carriers - $60,000
- South Dakota: South Dakota Public Utilities Commission - $36,900
- Vermont: Vermont Department of Public Service - $60,000
- Washington: Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission - $60,000
- Wyoming: Public Service Commission of Wyoming - $10,000
For more information on PHMSA’s One-Call Grants and other pipeline safety grants, see the PHMSA homepage.